- 21/2 cups flour
- pinch of salt
- 2tbs caster sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 3 tbs cold water
- Havarti Creamy cheese 150g, sliced thinly
- ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 7 apples (granny smith and golden delicious)
- 1 egg (egg wash)
- Demerara sugar for garnish
- Shortcrust pastry
Apple Cheese GaletteBy Chef Suzanne Husseini
1. Place flour, salt, 2 tbs sugar in a bowl and mix. Add in the butter and work with your fingers till fully incorporated and sand like consistency. Make a well in center and add the egg and cold water. Quickly with a fork mix in to make a dough. Gather with your hand and place on a clean surface. Divide into 2 equal pieces and wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge to rest at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven 350F
3. On a lightly floured surface roll out one of the discs from the center out to the end keeping the thickness even.
4. Place the Havarti cheese on the pastry evenly and leaving a good inch border. Sprinkle with grated nutmeg. Arrange sliced apples over the cheese to fully cover. Sprinkle with sugar remaining. Fold over the edges of pastry to create a border but leaving apples exposed.
5. Brush border with egg wash and sprinkle coarse demerara sugar on top.
6. Bake in preheated oven till pastry in golden and crisp and apples have softened.
7. Yummy served warm with ice cream.
By Chef Suzanne Husseini