- 2 cups elbow macaroni or (combination of Elbow and Fusilli, 1 cup of each) cook in enty of water and 1 tbs salt to al dente…. Don’t overcook!
- 4 cups whole milk
- 11/4 cup crème fraiche
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- tbs Dijon mustard
- 100 g (1 stick unsalted butter)
- 6 tbs flour
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- cayenne pepper ½ tsp
- Havarti Creamy 4 cups shredded and Wild Garlic Havarti 2 cups shredded
- Panko bread crumbs 1 cup
Mac 'n Havarti Cheesesby Chef Suzanne Husseini
1. Preheat oven 350F
2. Heat the milk and crème with thyme sprigs and whole cloves and bay leaf just to infuse the flavor. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a large pot melt the butter and add flour mix to make a roux or paste on medium heat.
4. Add the mustard and cayenne pepper.
5. Pour in warmed milk and cream through sieve to remove garlic and herbs.
6. Whisk into roux and continue till it begins to thicken. Add the grated Havarti cheeses. Mix well till fully melted and thickened.
7. Add in the cooled cooked macaroni and stir to fully combine. Add the chopped parsley.
8. Pour in a buttered baking dish.
9. Sprinkle generously with bread crumbs and sprinkle more cayenne pepper if you like. Bake in a preheated oven till top is golden and crisp.
10. Serve immediately.
By Chef Suzanne Husseini