- 4 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup of cold butter cut in cubes
- ¼ cup baking powder
- 1tsp salt
- 1 1/3 cup cream cold
- 1/3 cup plain yoghurt
- 2 large handfuls of fresh zaatar leaves picked ,washed and dried of excess water
- Havarti Light Cheese , 2 cups cut in small cubes
- 2 eggs
- Flaked sea salt for garnish
Fresh Zaatar Sconesby Chef Suzanne Husseini
Fresh Zaatar Scones
- Preheat oven 400F
- Place flour and salt in a large bowl. Add butter and with fingers work into flour till its fully coated and has sandy consistency.
- Mix in Baking powder.
- Make a well in the center and pour in cream and yoghurt. With a fork mix in quickly to incorporate the liquid. Before it is fully mixed add in the Havarti cheese cubes and fresh zaatar.
- Pour mixture on a clean surface and gather and fold dough till it comes together. It will be slightly sticky.
- Using a cookie cutter cut into desired shapes. Place on a baking sheet covered with baking paper. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle lightly with flaked sea salt.
- Bake in a hot oven till risen and lightly golden.