- 150 g. organic smoked bacon
- 20 prunes, coarsely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. dark syrup
- 3 tbsp. apple vinegar
- 1/4 habanero chili
- 1 dl. dark rum
- 1 tsp. oil
- Salt and pepper
- Possibly liquid smoke (available in specialty stores and on the web)
Bacon jam with chili and prunes
Prepare a delicious bacon jam at home using the best bacon you can muster, a little chili, some prunes and a few other small items.
1. Start by cutting the bacon into cubes and frying the cubes in a pan with a little oil over medium heat until most of the fat has melted. The bacon should brown slightly.
2. Remove the bacon and most of the fat from the pan and add the finely chopped shallot. Saute the shallot until it is soft and sweet, which takes about 5-8 minutes.
3. Then add the bacon and the remaining ingredients to the pan, with the exception of salt, pepper, prunes and liquid smoke. Be careful with the chili, if you do not absolutely love chili.
4. Simmer for 5 minutes, then mix everything with a hand mixer. The mixture should not be pure, but just evened a bit. Return to the heat and add the prunes.
5. Let it all simmer on low heat until the mixture has become thick and sticky. It takes about 20 minutes. Taste and possibly add chili along the way.
6. Finish by adding salt, pepper and vinegar to taste. The bacon jam’s taste should be a mixture of salty, smoky, sweet and sour. If the smoky flavor is understated, you can add liquid smoke, but it can easily be omitted.
7. Serve warm or cold with a good cheese and bread.
This recipe was written by the bloggers from Raavarecircus.dk – a food adventure and a tribute to quality ingredients and delicious food! Check out raavarecirkus.dk or follow on Instagram @raavarecirkus