- 250g flour
- 150g butter, at room temperature
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 150g Castello® Double Cream Brie
- 4 eggs
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche
- Salt and pepper
- 5 sprigs of thyme
- 3 brown onions, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp oil
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C.
2. Combine the flour and salt. Add the butter to the flour and mix until just combined – it should resemble breadcrumbs. Add the egg and mix until the dough comes together. Depending on the size of the egg, it may be necessary to add a little water.
2. Mix until the dough comes together, but don’t knead it. Shape the dough into a ball, cover with cling film and place in the fridge. Refrigerate for at least one hour, or until the dough is firm enough to work with.
3. Roll out the dough to a thickness of about 0.5cm. Cover a greased pie dish with the disc of dough and bake for 10 minutes at 180°C. If possible, blind bake the crust by covering it with aluminium foil and then filling with dried beans or rice to prevent it from puffing up.
4. While the dough is baking, prepare the filling.
5. Whisk the eggs with the crème fraîche and season with salt, pepper and thyme.
6. Sauté the onions in a frying pan over medium-high heat with a little oil. Cook for 5-10 minutes until the onions cook down and begin to caramelise, and a nice golden colour is achieved.
7. Pour the egg mixture into the pie shell, then add the caramelised onions and top with slices of Castello® Double Cream Brie.
8. Bake the pie for an additional 25-30 minutes at 180°C until the filling has set and is slightly golden on top.
9. Enjoy piping hot, warm or cold.