- 150g Castello® Mellow Black, crumbled
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tbsp oilive oil
- 500g chuck steak, diced
- 2 tbsp flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 250ml ale beer
- 125ml beef stock
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 150g mushrooms, quartered
- 375g ready-made puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
Steak & Ale Piewith
1. Preheat your oven to 220⁰C.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan and gently sweat the onions until tender. Toss the meat in seasoned flour and add to the pan. Turn the heat up to brown the meat on all sides.
3. Add the sweet potato and ale to the pan and mix thoroughly.
4. Bring to the boil and add sufficient stock to cover the meat and vegetables.
5. Cook over a medium heat for approximately 60 minutes until the meat is tender, adding more stock if necessary.
6. Season with mustard and add the mushrooms 5 minutes prior to the end of cooking time. Take off the heat and allow to cool.
7. Divide the mixture between 4 individual pie dishes or place in one large pie dish. Crumble the Castello® Mellow Black over the top and lightly stir through the meat mixture.
8. Roll out the pastry and use to top the pie dishes. Brush with beaten egg and bake at 220⁰C for 15–20 minutes until the pastry is golden.