1. Grate the carrots and drain in a cloth (there should be 200g after the juice has been drained off).
2. Combine the oatmeal and flour.
3. Grate the Castello® Extra Mature Cheddar.
4. Combine all the ingredients and form into a solid mass.
5. Roll out between two pieces of baking parchment.
6. Pre-bake at 200°C for approx. 15-20 min.
7. For the Sauce: Finley chop the oregano with some salt and combine with the remaining ingredients.
8. For the Pizza toppings: Rinse the portobello mushrooms and sauté in a pan with a little butter.
9. Cover the pizza with all the ingredients except the carrot and bake for approx. 5-7 min. until the cheese has melted.
10. Top with fresh carrot shavings and fresh basil.
There is nothing like a glass of something you like, with a plate of something you love. Pairing your meal with something that complements its flavours boosts the entire experience to a completely new level. Whether you like beer or wine, you should always try to cater to the flavours of your dish through contrasts and complementing flavours. Also, be sure to note the strength of your drink, as some wines or beers might either be too strong or too mild for your dish. Ultimately however, choosing what you want to drink with your dish is up to you, but taking note of both your dish and drink is an easy way of making everything taste better!
Pairing wine with spicy sausages such as chorizo means going for wines that are fruity, aromatic and off-dry whites. They flow in great contrast with their stronger sense of sugar and manage to counterbalance any heat in a refreshing rush of sweetness. Look for white wines such as Moscato and Pinot grigio. For red wines, light is the way to go. Exclusively look for dry, acidic and crisp reds, such as Zinfandel or Barbera d'Asti.
Resting on pizza crust glazed in a sweet tomato sauce with pickled red peppers and fresh basil, a gathering of sliced chorizo, carrots and Portobello mushrooms provide colourful contrasts on both plate and palate. Baked from a blend of oatmeal, peeled carrots, eggs and Castello® Extra Mature Cheddar, the crust of this unique mushroom pizza fulfils in savoury flavour and crisp texture – enjoy! At every turn our twist on classic Pizza looks to surprise and amaze, presenting a dish that is pleasing both visually and in terms of unrelenting flavour and layered textures. Every aspect of it demands attention and there is no point resisting it. A pizza unlike any other, this is a must-try!
With a line-up of ingredients like this, the cheese needs to deliver flavour and texture without detracting, while also making sure as to not being saturated. Picking the right cheese means going for something that balances the entire spectrum of flavour in your dish, in turn complementing the contrasts of the other ingredients. For our Portobello mushroom pizza, we chose our Castello® Aged Havarti to provide rich flavours and a smooth texture. Displaying notes of roasted hazelnuts and browned butter, this treasured classic softly coats your palate and enjoys a lingering finish. Its strong character and creamy nature is sure to make itself stand out and couples beautifully with the fresh greens and red pepper sauce. Spice goes along great with our Castello® Aged Havarti, with gentle sparks of heat from the chorizo sausage complementing the cheese in a satisfying clash of contrasts that simply demands another slice!