1. Finely chop the onion and garlic.
2. Cut the bacon and the squash into 1x1cm cubes.
3. Heat up 3-4 tbsp oil in a sauté pan then add the onion, garlic, bacon and squash.
4. Cook until the onions are clear.
5. Add the pearl spelt and let it all bubble for a couple of minutes.
6. Now add the wine and stock.
7. First pour over the wine and let it cook down.
8. Now add the stock, a little at a time. Let it cook down before adding the next ladleful. Make sure to give it a good stir once in a while.
9. Add the finely chopped parsley, reserving some to sprinkle on top before serving.
10. When the spelt is cooked almost through – it takes approx. 18-20 min. altogether – remove the pan from the heat and add the butter and mature cheddar cheese.
11. Now just let it rest to finish cooking.
12. Remember to add plenty of black pepper. Hold back on the salt, though, because the bacon, stock, butter and mate cheddar cheese add plenty. So taste when finished cooking, and add the salt if needed.