1. Slice the leg round open lengthwise – do this several times until you have a whole piece of meat approx. 1cm thick. Take care the meat doesn’t fall apart.
2. Spread the veal out and cover with a layer of prosciutto.
3. Rinse the mushrooms and chop into smaller pieces.
4. Finely chop the garlic and grate the Castello Mature Cheddar.
5. Sprinkle the garlic, mushrooms, sage leaves, salt and pepper over the meat.
6. Roll the meat up and tie tightly with twine.
7. Heat a little oil in a frying pan.
8. Brown the meat on all sides, then roast in a preheated oven (150°C) for approx. 30-35 minutes.
9. The cooking time will vary slightly depending on the thickness of the roll. The roll in this recipe is relatively thin. To be on the safe side, you can check the temperature with a meat thermometer. When it reaches a core temp. of 56-57°C, it’s time to take it out. It should be just slightly pink when it is done resting.
10. Allow the roast to rest for 10-15 minutes after removing it from the oven. This will finish the cooking process.
11. For the side dish: Start by carefully roasting the pine nuts on a dry pan. Take them off the heat when they begin to turn golden.
12. Then melt the butter in a pan and add the rinsed mushrooms when the butter is done bubbling. Cook them for approx. 5 min.
13. Add the whole cherry tomatoes and the cabbage after removing the coarsest bits. Cook for another 5 min. The cabbage should still have a little bite to it.
14. Arrange the veg carefully on a platter and sprinkle with the pine nuts.
15. Place slices of veal roll on top and garnish with fresh basil and sage.