1. Slice the apples into quarters and put them in a pot along with the water. Boil for approx. 35 minutes until they are very tender. The boiling time will vary depending on the type of apples used and how ripe they are.
2. Run the apples through a fine-meshed sieve to remove the peel and core.
3. Put the applesauce back into the pot. Now add the spices and the appropriate amount of sugar for the volume of sauce.
4. Bring the applesauce back to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently. Do not cover while cooking as the point is to let the liquid steam off. Let it simmer for approx. 1½ hours – or until it has turned caramel brown and grown quite thick.
5. Pour into sterilized jars.