1. Bring the cream and syrup to a boil in a small heavy-bottomed saucepan. Simmer over low heat, stirring constantly for 5-6 minutes. Add the butter and salt flakes and stir the caramel sauce until smooth. Set aside to cool.
2. Combine the apple cubes with the cane sugar and ginger and stir in half of the cooled caramel sauce.
3. Roll each sheet of puff pastry into a square (approx. 7½ x 7½ inches). Arrange the apple filling on the pastry sheets. Fold the dough up around the filling to form little pouches. Pinch the dough tight so the filling doesn’t spill out. Shape them into round pouches and place them, seam-side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment.
4. Using a sharp knife, make a little X in the middle of each pie. Brush with egg and sprinkle with almond flakes. Bake the tarts in the middle of the oven until golden and crispy for approx. 25 min. at 400°F (conventional oven), then cool on a rack.
5. Lightly whip the cream. Carefully fold the remaining salt caramel into the whipped cream to create swirls of caramel. Serve the warm apple tarts with the caramel whipped cream.
You can substitute cinnamon or cardamom for the ground ginger.