With great ingredients comes great taste and our recipe for Double Crème White pizza with pear, pecan and pesto proves that like no other. With flavor from a homemade pesto made of fresh bouquets of basil, a handful of pecans, Castello Extra Mature Cheddar and spinach, this fragrant cheese pizza enjoys added toppings of soft white cheese, crescent cut pear and orange cherry tomatoes to boot. Homemade from top to bottom our easy-to-follow recipe ensures effortless preparation and slices of feel-good food every time around. Perfect for a dinner with friends and family or as a delightful indulgence at a dinner for two – enjoy!
1. To make the pizza dough, combine both flours in a large mixing bowl with the salt and yeast.
2. Make a well in the center and add the olive oil and almost all of the tepid water (The water should feel just warm – if it is too hot, it may kill off the yeast).
3. Bring the liquid and flour together, adding just enough additional water to make a soft dough that comes together without it being sticky, leaving the bowl clean.
4. Dust the work surface with 1 tablespoon of the extra flour and start to knead the dough.
5. Using the heel of your hands, roll the dough away from you, pressing down firmly as you do so, then bring the dough back towards you and repeat with the other hand, so you are rolling the dough back and forth, alternating your hands as you roll.
6. Knead for 3–4 minutes until the dough feels soft, springy and elastic.
7. If you prod the dough, the indentation should spring back lightly.
8. Return the dough to the mixing bowl and cover with cling film.
9. Leave to rise for 1 hour or until it has doubled in size, and then split into two parts.
10. For the pesto add the spinach, basil, garlic, pecans, cheddar and seasoning to a food processor and pulse a few times.
11. Scrape down the sides and continue to process while adding the olive oil until fully incorporated.
12. Taste to check the seasoning.
13. Preheat the oven to 425° F.
14. Once the dough is ready, place on a lightly floured surface and shape out to a pizza shape either with your hands in a circular motion or with a rolling pin.
15. Top with the pesto, Pecans, sliced pear, cherry tomatoes and chunks of the cheese.
16. Bake for 7-9 minutes or until the color of the crust is golden brown.
17. Once cooked, season with freshly cracked black pepper and top with arugula.
When looking for that perfect matchup, always look to cater the drink to the strongest flavors in your dish, in this case being our Castello Double Crème White and the caramelized pear. Combined, the flavors are strong, and so an equally strong counterbalance is needed from your drink. For wines, oaked Chardonnay or dry rosés add both structure and vigor. For beers, look for lighter variants such as a smooth Pale Ale.