1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. Cook the cellantini pasta according to the box instructions in a large pan of boiling salted water until al dente.
3. Cut 3/4 of butternut squash into cubes and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and bake for 10 minutes at 350° F.
4. In a hot saucepan add a bit of olive oil and fry finely chopped shallots and garlic until translucent. Add the rest of the cubed butternut squash and dried sage and fry for a few minutes. Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat and blend the mixture. Add grated Castello® Extra Mature cheddar and continue to blend as the cheese melts. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Drain the pasta and add to the sauce. Add the baked butternut squash and stir. Pour the butternut mac and cheese into an ovenproof dish or pan and top with grated Castello Extra Mature Cheddar and fresh sage leaves. Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes.
Filled with the mild sweetness from the butternut squash, the macaroni and Extra Mature Cheddar join to create a distinctively sweet and nutty flavor. Together, they blend and intertwine with each other, producing a comforting and rich taste. Our Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese offers the ultimate coziness, and is sure to stand out at any potluck or get-together. For when you want to spend as little time as possible in the kitchen, few homemade dishes can compete with mac and cheese, and with the addition of butternut squash, even fewer come close.
While it may not surprise many, cheese is the main attraction of almost any dish it stars in. The wrong cheese might seek to combat the flavors of the butternut squash, while others might get subdued. Picking a cheese that plays in harmony with the other ingredients, makes for a much more enjoyable experience, and guarantees that all the tones and aromas are brought out. In our iteration of Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese we chose our Castello® Extra Mature Cheddar, since its sharp finish complements the savory sweetness of the butternut squash perfectly. Having matured, the crumbly texture of the Cheddar ensures that it dissolves quickly and evenly. Earthy aromas from the fresh and dried sage help form the foundation, and creates a nice contrast to the sweetness from the rest of the dish.
It is easy to be won over by the easy-going nature and incredible taste from the vast world of mac and cheese. This ultimate guilty pleasure is an extremely versatile dish, and at Castello®, we love it as much as you do. If you feel like mixing it up, try some of our other mac and cheese recipes, they are great on their own, and even better when shared with friends and family. Enjoy our Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese, or dive into our Crockpot Mac and Cheese for when you have no time to cook. Our Lobster Mac and Cheese delivers on all accounts, while our Bacon Mac and Cheese makes you wish you had room for another bite. Our recipes are easy to follow, and with our cheeses, getting to the good part is quick, easy and delicious.