1. Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add the buttermilk, eggs and butter and beat just until combined.
3. Stir in the corn, cheese, dill, and green onions.
4. Heat a griddle to medium-high heat and lightly spray with cooking oil.
5. Scoop heaping tablespoons onto the griddle (1/4 cup for full-sized corn cakes) and cook on each side until golden brown.
If serving as hors d'oeuvres, arrange the mini corn cakes on a serving platter with a dollop of creme fraiche and a sprig of fresh dill.