Many restaurants offering regular tasting menus, where you can be introduced to the talents of the kitchen in the form of sliders, or mini-burgers. And burgers come in countless versions, as you know. The inspiration for this recipe comes from the classic meatball sandwich. With lots of cheese. And you can always make the burgers full-size if you want. One of the advantages is that you can prepare most of the ingredients beforehand, so if your friends drop by and you want to serve burger snacks, it doesn’t take much preparation.
1. The slider buns weigh approx. 1½ oz., while ordinary burger buns come in at twice that.
2. Form the ground beef into 12 balls. Season with salt and pepper.
3. In a pan, fry the meatballs in a little oil for 4-5 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from the pan.
4. Saute the finely chopped garlic and onions in the oil until clear.
5. Add the tomatoes and cook through for 5 minutes. Season to taste with thyme, salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar.
6. Blend the sauce using a hand blender, return the meatballs to the sauce and heat through for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
7. Quarter the Castello Creamy Havarti slices and place two quarter slices on each meatball.
8. Pop the pan in a preheated oven for 2 minutes until the cheese has melted.
9. Spread the slider buns with mayonnaise on both the top and bottom.
10. Place a lettuce leaf on each bottom bun, then add the meatballs with cheese.
11. Pour a little extra sauce from the pan over each slider.