1. Combine regular flour and powdered sugar in a bowl. Cut the butter into small pieces and work it into the flour mixture with your fingers. Add the egg yolk and water and gather the dough gently.
2. Press the dough into a loose-based pie pan (approx. 11 inches in diameter). Press the dough up the sides. Cover and refrigerate the crust for at least 30 min.
3. Prick holes in the crust with a fork and pre-bake in the middle of the oven. Pre-baking time: Approx. 20 min. at 400°F – conventional oven.
4. For the filling: Place the pumpkin cubes in a saucepan filled with boiling water and cook for approx. 10 min., or until tender.
5. Drain off the water and blend the pumpkin for approx. 30 sec. – into a thick pumpkin puree.
6. Beat the eggs, sugar and pumpkin puree until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and beat thoroughly.
7. Pour the filling into the pre-baked crust and bake in the middle of the oven for approx. 40 min. at 320°F – conventional oven. Refrigerate the pie for at least 2 hours – or until it is completely cold.
8. Caramelized pumpkin seeds: Melt the sugar in a frying pan over high heat for approx. 2 minutes until light brown. Reduce the heat and add the butter. Let the butter melt, then add the pumpkin seeds and salt and stir for approx. 30 sec.
9. Pour the pumpkin seeds out onto a piece of baking parchment. Spread the seeds out using two forks, then let them cool completely.
10. Beat the cream until thick and spread on the cooled pie. Break the pumpkin seeds apart and sprinkle over the whipped cream.
The pumpkin pie can be frozen without the whipped cream and pumpkin seeds.
You can use the pumpkin seeds you scrape out of the pumpkin instead of using store-bought seeds. Rinse the pumpkin seeds in a colander and toast them in the oven for approx. 10 minutes at 400°F – conventional oven.