1. Place the pumpkin cubes in a saucepan filled with boiling water and cook for approx. 10 min., or until tender. Drain off the water and blend the pumpkin for approx. 30 sec. – into a thick pumpkin puree.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the milk. Pour the mixture into a bowl and stir in the yeast. Add the pumpkin puree and the other ingredients (reserve some of the flour for later).
3. Knead the dough well by hand or in a stand mixer for approx. 5 min. Cover the bowl, for example with the lid of a pot and let rise in a warm place for about an hour.
4. Tip the dough out onto a floured surface and knead thoroughly. Add the rest of the flour as needed.
5. Divide the dough into 16 pieces and shape into rolls. Flatten slightly, then make 6 cuts into the rolls.
6. Place the buns on 2 baking sheets lined with parchment and let them rise again for approx. 45 min.
7. Brush with egg and press a pecan into the middle of each roll. Bake the rolls in the middle of the oven for approx. 15 min. at 330°F (fan setting), then cool on a rack.