1. Slice the veal leg round open, lengthwise – do this several times until you have a whole piece of meat approx. ⅓ of an inch thick. Take care the meat doesn’t fall apart.
2. Spread the veal out and cover with a layer of prosciutto.
3. Rinse the mushrooms and chop into smaller pieces. Finely chop the garlic. Grate the Castello® Extra Mature Cheddar. Sprinkle the garlic, mushrooms, sage leaves, salt and pepper over the meat. Roll the meat up and tie tightly with twine.
4. Heat a little oil in a frying pan. Brown the meat on all sides, then roast in a preheated oven (300°F) for approx. 30-35 minutes.
5. The cooking time will vary slightly depending on the thickness of the roll. To be on the safe side, you can check the temperature with a meat thermometer. When it reaches a core temp. of 132-134°F, it’s time to take it out. It should be just slightly pink when it is done resting.
6. Allow the roast to rest for 10-15 minutes after removing it from the oven. This will finish the cooking process.
7. Side dish: Start by carefully roasting the pine nuts on a dry pan. Take them off the heat when they begin to turn golden.
8. Then melt the butter in a pan and add the rinsed mushrooms when the butter is done bubbling. Cook them for approx. 5 min.
9. Add the whole cherry tomatoes and the cabbage after removing the coarsest bits. Cook for another 5 min. The cabbage should still have a little bite to it.
10. Arrange the veggies carefully on a platter and sprinkle with the pine nuts. Then place slices of veal roll on top and garnish with fresh basil and sage.