1. Preheat oven to 160ºC.
2. Generously grease the bottom of an ovenproof pan or baking dish with 30 g of melted butter.
3. In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, add remaining butter and cheese cubes. Stir until cheese melts.
4. Arrange potato slices in the pan overlapping each other, brushing with butter/cheese mixture. Season with salt and pepper as you go.
5. Cover with greaseproof paper or lid and bake for 45 minutes to an hour. Test with a skewer to see if potatoes are tender.
6. At this point, serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.
If preparing in advance, turn pommes out of the pan, and with a sharp knife, cut into desired pieces. Warm in a 160ºC oven for 10 to 15 minutes.