1. Preheat oven to 200ºC/400ºF
2. Cut peppers in half, remove seeds and stalk then cut each half into three pieces, halve tomatoes and make cuts in centre of each.
3. Lay the vegetables on a large baking sheet, drizzle with chilli oil and roast for 20 minutes until just beginning to char at edges.
4. Meanwhile brush the bread slices lightly with oil, lay on a second baking sheet and bake until just golden brown, turning once.
5. Once golden, remove from oven, spread with half the cheese, leave on baking sheet and pop back into oven just before serving the soup to melt the cheese.
6. Transfer the vegetables immediately into a blender and whizz together until a good purée, then add the hot stock or water to let down to a good soup consistency.
7. Add half the cheese in chunks and whizz again to blend, check seasoning and serve with the cheese croûtes, garnished with thyme.