1. Pour the cream and milk into a pan with a thick base and cook whilst stirring for approximately 2 min.
2. Remove the pan from the heat and add the cheese, salt and pepper. Blend using a stick blender until the cheese fondue has a completely smooth consistency. Blend in the egg yolk for a brief moment. Cover the fondue and place in the refrigerator until use.
1. Boil water with sliced lemon and salt in a pan.
2. Cut off the stem with the bottom of the artichoke. Remove any withered leaves and thoroughly rinse the artichoke.
3. Place the artichoke in the boiling water. Cook the artichoke on a low heat covered by a lid for approximately 15 minutes or until a leaf can be removed by pulling gently.
4. Place the artichoke upside down to drip dry. Pull off the leaves, cover and place in the refrigerator until use.
1. Carefully heat the fondue – make sure it does not boil.
2. Arrange artichoke leaves, bread, potatoes, gherkins and smoked ham on 4 large plates.
3. Pour the warm cheese fondue into 4 small bowls or cups and serve immediately.