1. Cut the apple into quarters, remove the core, and then slice thinly.
2. Remove the base of the fennel and slice thinly.
3. In a pot mix the apple and fennel slices with the water, lemon juice and peel. Boil until tender (about 15 minutes) and then add the sugar and boil for another 15 minutes. Add a little extra water if it’s about to boil dry.
4. Put the confiture into a glass jar, and leave to cool.
5. Serve with your favorite cheese.
To boost the fennel flavor in this confiture, you can add a teaspoon of fennel seeds at the start. You can also spice up the taste further by replacing the white sugar with muscovado sugar.