1. Divide the dough into two equal portions. Roll each one out into a thin rectangle on a floured surface. Move the dough onto a piece of baking parchment.
2. With a sharp knife, make one cut in the middle of the bread as well as two diagonal cuts on each side of the cut in the middle. Pull the dough gently to open up the holes.
3. Move the dough on the baking parchment over to a baking sheet and allow to rise covered for 15 min.
4. Blend all the ingredients for the pesto and season to taste with salt and pepper and preheat the oven to 200°C.
5. When the bread has risen, brush it with olive oil and tomato sauce, sprinkle with grated Castello Extra Mature Cheddar cheese and bake in the middle of the oven at 200°C for approx. 25 min.
6. Serve the bread with curly kale pesto for dipping.
Experiencing the full extent of the flavours of your dish, is a case of finding a wine or beer with complementing contrasts. A great rule of thumb is to look at the most prominent flavours of your dish and catering towards those. This means that going for the wrong pairing runs the risk of flavours being diluted or bland, as some wines and beers might be either too strong or too mild. In the end however, choosing what you want to pair your dish with is ultimately up to you, but finding the perfect matchup could make a huge difference in how you perceive the flavours of your dish!
The creamy nature of our Castello® Aged Havarti combined with the herbaceous character of the Italian-inspired Fougasse, calls for a delicate wine pairing such as a dry deep fruit rosé. On the other hand, a full-bodied Malbec is the perfect counterbalance for our Castello® Extra Mature Cheddar. In terms of beer, both cheeses benefit greatly from being coupled with Lagers, Pale Ales and even ciders.
Leaving plenty of room for any condiment of your choosing, this sculptural pizza bread is the perfect dipping vessel for our homemade green pesto. Flavoured with lightly toasted pine nuts, garlic and fresh curly kale, this wholesome pesto offers smooth textures and a savoury palate. A hint of zesty lemon juice ensures that flavours are bright when topped on our flat bread Fougasse. Cut to shapes of leaves, the centre of this homemade French bread pizza is crispy and easy to pull apart – perfect for a hands-on treat or an engaging entrée!
A finishing touch with big presence, the cheese topping of this Fougasse recipe is meant to add both taste and texture without overpowering the nuances from the pesto. This means going for a cheese that melts easily and evenly, while also having balanced flavours. Too mild, and the characteristics of the cheese risk being saturated from stronger condiments, while a cheese that is either too strong or too soft could overpower your palate in terms of taste and texture. Both our Castello® Extra Mature Cheddar and Castello® Aged Havarti deliver nuanced flavours and delicate crusts when baked. Each cheese adds its own unique twist while being equally great for melting.
Known for its sharp character and lingering finish, our Castello® Extra Mature Cheddar offers rich notes of roasted hazelnuts and salt crystals. Having a crumbly body from maturation, it grates easily and spreads evenly. Soft, gentle yet with an added bite from maturation, our Castello® Aged Havarti is loved for its creamy textures and buttery flavours. Together, they are guaranteed to make your homemade Fougasse an instant classic!