For the tomato sauce:
1. Dice the onion and cook with a little oil over a medium heat until soft but not coloured.
2. Add the crushed garlic and cook for 3 minutes still with no colour.
3. Add the roughly chopped fresh tomato, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, sugar, chopped rose-mary and the tinned cherry tomatoes.
4. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low and cook out until a thick sauce consistency, stirring occa-sionally to ensure it won’t burn at the bottom.
5. Taste to check for seasoning and balance of acidity and sweet.
6. Cool and reserve for topping the pizza.
To make the pizza dough:
7. Combine both flours in a large mixing bowl with the salt and yeast.
8. Make a well in the centre and add the olive oil and almost all of the tepid water. (The water should feel just warm – if it is too hot, it may kill off the yeast)
9. Bring the liquid and flour together, adding just enough additional tepid water to make a soft dough that comes together without it being sticky, leaving the bowl clean.
10. Dust the work surface with 1 tablespoon of the extra flour and start to knead the dough.
11. Using the heel of your hands, roll the dough away from you, pressing down firmly as you do so, then bring the dough back towards you and repeat with the other hand, so you are rolling the dough back and forth, alternating your hands as you roll.
12. . Knead for 3–4 minutes until the dough feels soft, springy and elastic.
13. If you prod the dough, the indentation should spring back lightly.
14. Return the dough to the mixing bowl and cover with cling film.
15. Leave to rise for 1 hour or until it has doubled in size and then split into two parts.
16. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees.
To make the pizza:
17. Once the dough is ready place on a lightly floured surface and shape out to a pizza shape either with your hands in a circular motion or with a rolling pin.
18. Spread the tomato sauce and add the rest of the toppings omitting the watercress for when it is cooked.
19. Keep the pancetta uncovered to allow it to become crispy.
20. Cook for 7-10 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
21. Garnish with watercress.
True to the tropical theme of our amazing Hawaiian pizza recipe, the perfect dining experience calls for a drink to accompany your homemade slice of Honolulu. Whether your preference says wine or beer, when looking to find that perfect matchup, it is important to look at the dominant flavours of your pizza, in this case being both the cheddar and pineapple fruit. It might seem like going against the grain but finding a beverage with a similar palate to that of your dish generally works to enhance the subtler tones of any milder ingredients.