1. Rinse the rice in a strainer until the water runs clear. Then leave it in fresh water to soak for 1 to 4 hours.
2. Add rice to a cooking pot and pour in some water, using around the same amount of water as the rice (roughly 250ml).
3. Bring to the boil, then reduce to low heat and let simmer for 20 mins. The rice should be tender, and the water absorbed. Cool until easy to handle.
4. In a small saucepan, combine the rest of the water (175ml), mirin, oil, and sugar. Cook until the sugar dissolves and let it cool.
5. Add the liquid to the rice and combine gently with a wooden spoon. Stir until the liquid is absorbed.
6. Shape the rice as for nigiri by hand or in a nigiri sushi maker if you have one.
7. Gently dip each piece of shaped rice in the sesame seeds.
8. Chop the spring onion very finely.
9. Fold a band of nori around each rice bite.
10. Cut the cream cheese ring in 12 even pieces.
11. Top each rice bite with a slice of cream cheese and decorate with some spring onion.
12. Serve and enjoy the flavourful spark of Thailand with every bite.