1. Combine the beetroot with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Bake at 200°C for approximately 35 minutes or until tender.
2. On a floured surface, roll out the dough into an elongated oval shape and carefully move it over to a piece of baking parchment.
3. Cut the dough along the edge on both sides moving towards the middle.
4. Spread tomato sauce, baked beetroot, Creamy Blue Cheese, pine nuts, lemon zest, and thyme on the middle 1/3 of the pizza dough.
5. Plait the pizza so the narrow bands of dough on each side cross each other.
6. Beat the egg yolk with the water and brush the pizza loaf with the mixture.
7. Carefully move the pizza loaf on the baking parchment over to the hot baking sheet and bake on the bottom rack at 250°C for approximately 15 minutes or until crispy and golden.
Use this recipe as your basis and add ingredients that are in season to vary the plaited bread throughout the year.
Small, plaited breads are perfect for a packed lunch or as part of a buffet.
You can also make this beetroot pizza loaf with small cubes of beetroot. Make sure to cook them until tender.
Parsnip and/or sunchoke is a good addition to a beetroot pizza. Just make sure that you do not use too much of the different root vegetables as it might take over the whole bread.