Frying Pan Pizza
This frying pan pizza is inspired by one of John’s most favourite holiday snacks, a delicious Turkish dish called Pide. Simple and easy to make, this pizza is topped off with ham, egg, and Castello Tickler Cheddar.
Makes 4 pizzas
To make the dough:
- 500g plain flour
- 7g packet easy bake yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 330ml water
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 400g Castello Tickler Cheddar, grated
- 160g Parma ham
- 4 free range eggs
- 4 tsp chilli flakes
1. To make the dough, sift the flour into a bowl and add the yeast, oil, water, and a good pinch of salt. Bring together and then tip out onto a floured surface. Knead for 8-10 minutes or until pale, smooth and soft. Place into an oiled mixing bowl and cover with a clean tea towel. Leave to prove for 30 minutes.
2. Pre-heat the grill to medium (220 degree Celsius). Divide the dough into 4 and roll out into rounds that will fit into your frying pan. John makes his about 10 inches.
3. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a high heat and add a tablespoon of the oil. Place one of the pizzas into the pan. Top with ham, leaving a gap in the middle for the egg. Scatter over the Castello Tickler Cheddar and then crack the egg in the middle. Season with a teaspoon of the chilli flakes and a pinch of salt. Cook for about 2 minutes until the bottom looks golden and crispy. Reduce the heat if it is cooking too fast.
4. Place the pizza under the grill to finish cooking on top. This should take about 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted and the egg white set. Serve immediately.
Brought to you by John Gregory-Smith