Manon's Mini Mixed Bagels
There is nothing more delicious than a freshly baked bagel spread with cream cheese. This quick and easy recipe will show you how to make mini versions ready to top with Castello pineapple, chive and spring onion or black pepper cream cheese halos- perfect for serving as part of brunch.
• 630g of bread flour
• 340g of warm water
• 15g of salt
• 12g of instant yeast
• 1 tbsp of golden syrup
• Any seed or herbs such as poppy seeds, mixed seeds or rosemary
• Castello cream cheese halo
1. Add the dry ingredients (excluding the toppings) to an electric mixer with the kneading attachment. Start to mix the dough on low speed for 4 minutes, then turn up the speed to medium/high for another 6 to 8 minutes. The dough should now be smooth, springy and elastic.
2. Divide the dough in 16 small balls and place on a tray or a chopping board. Loosely cover with cling film and leave to rise for 15 minutes in a warm place. If you are struggling to find a warm place, Manon suggests setting the oven to its lowest setting and leaving the bagels to rise in there.
3. Next, shape the balls into rings. Roll the dough into a sausage shape and join the two ends together using a little bit of water to make them sticky. Once finished, place the bagels onto a tray and cover with cling film. Leave to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 180°c fan assisted.
4. Bring a big pan filled with water to a simmer. Using a slotted spoon gently lower your bagels into the water. Cook on one side for 30 seconds and then flip them to cook for a further 30 seconds on the other side. You can cook 5 or 6 bagels at once.
5. Once boiled, lay each bagel onto some baking paper and sprinkle with whatever seed or herb topping you like. You’ll probably need two trays for the quantity.
6. Bake the bagels for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Serve the bagels fresh out of the oven or cold and spread with the Castello cream cheese halo.
Manon suggests serving them with an assortment of jams, fruits and even avocado for a delicious brunch spread.
Brought to you by Manon