Cheddar eggs en cocotte with smoked haddock & crispy cheese toast
A variation on the Savoy classic, Omelette Arnold Bennet, this is a rich and decadent way to start off a Sunday and showcases the beautiful flavour of Castello Tickler Cheddar.
• 4 x free range eggs
• 300ml whole milk
• 150ml double cream
• Skinless smoked white fish (around 200g)
• ½ an onion
• 1 clove garlic
• 1 tsp English mustard
• 200g Castello Tickler Cheddar
• 4 slices white bloomer
• Salt & pepper
• 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
1. Start off by buttering the insides of four ramekins and pre-heat your oven to 180C.
2. Roughly chop your onion and garlic.
3. Pour the milk into a saucepan with the onion, garlic, mustard and a good grind of pepper then bring to a simmer. Place the fish into the milk and remove from the heat, allowing to infuse for 10 minutes.
4. Remove the fish and gently flake, dividing the fish between the ramekins. Mix 150ml of the milk mixture with the double cream to create the sauce and season well with salt and pepper.
5. Place half the sauce in the bottom of each ramekin, then crack an egg into each. Top with the rest of the sauce and a generous grating of Castello Tickler Cheddar. Place into a roasting tray filled half-way up with boiling water and pop in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until the white has set but the yolk is still runny.
6. Toast your bread and then finely grate the remaining cheese onto the toast and pop into the oven until the cheese goes crispy. Slice into soldiers.
7. Top the eggs with chives and eat straight away with the toasted soldiers.